This post contains resources to accompany my Devs4Ops talk from the January 2018 London VMUG. It’s a list of links to things I mentioned (or intended to mention but forgot to) in the presentation.
This content is also relevant to my (compressed version) talk “Dev 4 the Ops Team” from VMworld Europe 2018.
- Slidedeck from presentation (PDF)
- “Finished” Code from presentation
- PowerShell Gallery- Find Modules to extend PowerShell (including the VMware PowerCLI module).
- Places to Share and Borrow Script Ideas ** Github ** VMware Code ** Slack Overflow
- UKVMUG Usercon 2017, when Ricky El-Qasem asked if anyone was a dev and I half-raised my hand. Video
- XKCD Comic- How long can you work on automating something and save time? Link
- Super Mario Brothers – Not strictly relevant but this video from the Extra Credits team gives an excellent insight into how players learn the actions in Mario. Ties into the fundamentals I discussed, but also a great look at UI design.
- Making a Cup of Tea: The Twinings guide on making tea perfectly.)
- Shutting down a VM with PowerCLI https://isjw.uk/shutting-down-a-virtual-machine-using-powercli/
- Using Tags with PowerCLI https://isjw.uk/fun-with-tags-and-powercli/
- VMware KB article- upgrading VM hardware https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010675
- Upgrading VM Hardware using PowerCLI- https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/10/quick-tip-using-cli-to-upgrade-to.html
- Automating Everything VMware with PowerCLI- [VMworld 2015 video and slides.]](http://vmware.mediasite.com/mediasite/Showcase/default/Presentation/bb682814cc50405c91a8f4318737b7851d)
Examples of Coding in Action
- Example 1: [Find Windows 2008 VMs before EOL]](/find-windows-2008-vms/)
- Example 2: [Automating Intel Sighting remediation using PowerCLI]](https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2018/01/automating-intel-sighting-remediation-using-powercli-ssh-not-required.html)
- Example 3: [Search VMTN with REST API]](http://www.lucd.info/2017/12/31/search-vmtn-rest-api/)