VMworld Europe 2015 Day 3
Here’s my five highlights (each) of some of the sessions I attended on the Wednesday at VMworld Europe 2015. Full videos of most of the sessions will be online shortly, but this is a taster.
There was so much info that I struggled to get it down to five points, so I’d definitely recommend watching the replay if you have time and anything here perks your interest.
- There’s a growing push to achieve both Consumer Simplicity and Enterprise Security
- VMware is now the leader in the VDI space according to IDC
- NSX provides the ability for every individual VM to be firewalled, isolated, and segmented
- Today a third of web traffic is from mobile devices and by the end of the decade half the planet will have a persistent internet connection.
- Innovate like a startup, deliver like an enterprise - Pat Gelsinger, CEO VMware
STO5571 What’s New In Virtual Volumes
- Virtual Volumes look to address 3 Challenges in Storage- Silo’s, Rigid Infrastructure, and Complex Provisioning Processes.
- Volumes are provisioned on a per-VM basis based on a Storage Policy, no manual LUN creation and no shared datastores.
- This is included in vSphere, no additional licensing cost.
- Uses traditional storage (e.g. iSCSI) and talks directly to the storage. Virtual Disks are represented natively on the array.
- Benefits include speed (per VM performance), cost and capacity (no LUN overhead, less overprovisioning).
OPT5361 Best Practice Approaches to Transformation with the SDDC
- To become a proper Service Provider, IT needs to be able to offer SLA’s
- A common problem seen in IT is operational practices are lacking, incomplete, or based on legacy IT.
- Transformation should not be just from the technology perspective, but SDDC can be the enabler.
- Sequential Processes need to become iterative. Start with something small that works and build on it.
- Individual Work-streams should be integrated- silo’d IT must become collaborative to succeed.
EUC4517 VMware Workspace Environment Management
- This is all about enabling Business Mobility with Horizon Desktop, Airwatch Mobile, and Identity Manager
- Provision apps via Remote Desktop Services, Virtual Desktops, or Packaged ThinApps
- On a single desktop the experience can be unique for each user based on login, not just in the background and profile but also in the available applications
- Users can be given a writable volume, enabling them to install their own apps without infringing on other users of the service.
- Use contextual policies to give a different user experience not just on credentials but also based on things like the client OS, location, client IP range etc.
INF5211 Automating Everything with PowerCLI Deep Dive
- PowerCLI 6.0 R2 is now released with over 500 cmdlets, but support back to ESX 5.0U3
- “The best script you’ll ever write is one you’ve stolen”- don’t reinvent the wheel if there is already code you can use or build on out there on the web.
- New cmdlets include Get-VMHostHardware and Get-VMHostPCIDevice - great for getting a fuller report on the state of your infrastructure
- Integration now in place for vCloud AIR, vRealize OpManager and VASA/NFS/VAIO storage
- Check out the websites of the speakers Alan Renouf, Luc Dekens, and the PowerCLI blog for more info